The language app Babbel released its list of the 10 most mispronounced words of 2019 . . . and naturally, it's filled with the names of people and things that became noteworthy throughout the year.
Here they are, along with the correct pronunciation:
1. Chernobyl. . . (chair-nOHble)
The 1986 nuclear disaster at the Ukrainian Chernobyl reactor, which became the subject of an HBO limited series.
2. Greta Thunberg. . . (grAY-tah tOOn-bairyeh)
She's the 16-year-old Swedish climate change activist, who gave a speech at the U.N. Climate Summit.
3. Megan Rapinoe. . . (ruh-PEE-noh)
She's the captain of the women's U.S. national soccer team, which won the Women's World Cup this summer.
4. Notre Dame. . . (nOH-truh dAHm)
The French landmark that partially burned down back in April. A lot of people mistakenly think it's pronounced the same as the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
5. Pete Buttigieg. . . (bUt-ij-ij)
He's the openly gay mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who's running for president.
6. Rami Malek. . . (rAH-mee mA-lik)
He won an Oscar for playingFreddie Mercuryin"Bohemian Rhapsody".
7. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. . . (rE-jep tAH-yep AIR-doh-wahn)
He's been the president of Turkey since 2014. This year, he became more newsworthy after Turkey invaded Syria.
8. Tekashi 6ix9ine. . . (te-kAH-shee siks naYn)
The rapper who pled guilty to racketeering, and then started snitchin'!
9. Tokimeku. . . (toh-kee-mE-koo)
In her Netflix series,Marie Kondosays the Japanese word "tokimeku," which translates to "to flutter" or, you know, "spark joy."
10. Deter. . . (dee-tUHR)